Visas, passports, entry requirements… Read our travel tips to help you best prepare for your trip!

Brexit: Travel from the UK to the European Union
In the event the UK leaves the European Union with no deal, there may be changes to passport validity rules. 

If you are a UK citizen traveling to a member country of the European Union, please go to the official UK government website for up-to-date travel advice.
Prior to your departure, we recommend that you check the entry and travel requirements for your destination country/countries by contacting the proper embassies or consulates. You must have all required documents with you during travel:
  • Identity card
  • Passport
  • Visa, etc.
It is your responsibility to check the expiration dates of these documents and renew them if necessary (while allowing enough time to receive them). Otherwise, you must pay all fees or fines attributed to Air France by authorities.
Please note: some countries require a passport that is valid several months beyond the expected return date. In addition, a return ticket or proof that you will exit the country may also be requested.

In addition, please note that certain countries require airline companies to provide some or all information they have concerning passengers.
As of January 2014, French national identity cards are valid for a period of 15 years, extended from the original 10-year period. Cards issued prior to this date will remain valid for an additional 5 years beyond the original expiry date. However, certain countries may not recognize this new provision. For this reason, we strongly recommend traveling with a valid passport to facilitate any entry and immigration procedures in your destination country.
For complete information, please see the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development website.

Traveling minors

Whether your child is traveling alone or with you, we recommend that you check the entry and travel requirements for minors by contacting the proper embassies or consulates. This applies to your child’s destination country/countries or those through which your child has a connecting flight.

Please note : if you are traveling with your child but they do not have the same surname as you, bring the family booklet or birth certificate to prove your affiliation.
Permit to travel form for passengers under 18 years old
Any passenger under 18 years old, whether he or she is a French citizen or a foreigner living in France, must obtain authorization to leave the country for any journey outside France without a parent or legal guardian.

Depending on the destination country, the passenger must be in possession of:
- An ID card or an individual passport (with a visa, if applicable)
- The permit to travel form (“l'autorisation de sortie du territoire" in French) signed by a parent or legal guardian
- A photocopy of a valid identity document of the parent or legal guardian who provided his or her signature for the permit to travel form

Minors of French nationality

All minors of French nationality must possess a personal ID (passport or national identity card depending on the destination).
Minors must have a passport in their name. Children cannot travel using a parent’s passport. Please note: the French “Livret de Famille” is not a valid form of ID. It does not enable a minor to travel, even on flights within metropolitan France.

EU minors

All EU minors* must possess a personal ID (passport or national identity card depending on the destination) for travel to and/or within Europe. For travel requiring a passport, minors must have a passport in their name. They cannot travel using a parent’s passport.

* The requirement for minors to have a personal ID is applicable to all EU citizens, with the exception of the United Kingdom, Ireland and Denmark.


Since 1 June 2015, any child under 18 years old traveling to or from South Africa must possess official documents required by the South African authorities. Please contact the South African embassy or consulate in the child's country of residence.

The required documents depend on the child's situation: accompanied by both parents or only one, traveling unaccompanied, etc. For all cases, whatever the child's situation, a full copy of his or her birth certificate is required. The website below lists all the necessary documents for all possible situations.
Please note: All required documents must be written in English or translated by an accredited translator.


Is your child traveling to the United States in the near future? He or she must provide a customs declaration upon arrival. Please download and complete the form at your earliest convenience.

Some specific formalities

United States, Canada, Europe (Schengen area*), India, French Polynesia

With Ariane, travel with peace of mind

Traveling for less than 6 months? The French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development’s online portal “Ariane” is accessible to all French travelers and enables you to communicate your trip information. This information may be used by the ministry to quickly locate and contact you only in the event of a crisis* or if emergency measures are required.

* Severe political crisis or natural disaster, among others.

In Paris and Marseille, breeze through passport control with PARAFE.
Want to avoid waiting in long lines when entering or exiting the Schengen area? Discover PARAFE, a free service that does not require enrollment* and is intended for residents of major European countries.** At the airport, simply scan your passport at an automated kiosk and place your finger on a digital fingerprint reader. PARAFE is available for international departures and arrivals at Paris-Charles de Gaulle, Paris-Orly and Marseille-Provence airports.

* For passengers with a biometric French passport
** Residents of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland

return to top of page